z

Young Writers Society



We Will Not Listen Part 1 & 2

by Angel of Death


Note: I haven't written Romantic Fiction on this site in a while but its always been my passion because well it was the only thing I wrote on this site when I started off. This might be a little fuzzy but bare with me please. This is for Cal's Character Contest so critique hard and enjoy.

We Will Not Listen Part 1

By Angel of Death

[025 Warmth: Picture 4]

The box arrived yesterday. I didn't want to open it, but every time I passed it by, pain swelled in my throat. This was the only reminder that I had of Jack. Whatever it was inside that pink box came straight from his heart. His beautiful, loving heart,

A car pulled to a stop, the engine dying like a love affair with three people. I'd know that sound anywhere. It was was the old Chevy, and even though her good days were over, she still held a lot of great memories. The last time I spent in that car was two weeks ago, when Jack broke up with me. We were in the beat seat, curled up in each others arms, hoping the sun wasn't about to rise. It was a beautiful night. The crickets were singing and the owls were hooting and we were madly in love. Pressed up against his chest was the best place on Earth to be. Especially since his heart beat the soundtrack of my summer. Everything was going fine until Jack pushed me away. He wouldn't let me see his face when he said that it was over.

A car door slammed, and then the soft click of the trunk opening filled my mind. I was now sitting on the couch, contemplating on whether I should pull back he curtains and look outside. For so long, I thought that if I ignored anything that had to do with Jack, then the pain would go away. But I was wrong. His absence was only a shot of Novocaine to the heart. I couldn't feel anything but I knew I was in pain.

As I slowly, pulled back the curtains, the numbness wore off. They were outside. Jack, and his fiancée, Megan. He was pulling the last of her suitcases out of the trunk and setting them on the curb. His muscles flexed in and out, making my insides tingle. The last time I felt his...

My thoughts were broken by the sound of Megan's giggles. And as she waltzed over to Jack, who had a big smile on his face, I let the cloth slip through my fingers.

Even though I couldn't see them, I knew what was happening. He was kissing her. She was kissing him. Like a million bullets, love was shooting me in the heart. Every embrace he's shared with me is now going to belong to her. And somehow I know he knows how I feel. Hell, we grew up together. He knows me more than the back of his own hand.

Ugh!!! Why couldn't they just move somewhere else? They didn't have to live across the street from me. Or maybe, I don't have to live across the street from them. I still had the house that my mom left in her will. It needed to be fixed up a little but with Jack's...what am I thinking? Jack can't help me. He's gone.

It was quiet outside.

They're probably in the house, sipping ice tea, and talking about how miserable I...Jack wouldn't allow that. He has a beautiful, loving heart. I mean, he still remembered my birthday. That at least showed he cared...a little bit. What was in that box anyway?

Suddenly, the thing that I ignored, became the thing that I needed. Eager to have at least one reminder of Jack, one feeling of warmth, I got up off the couch and walked to the door. On the carpet, lye a package wrapped in pink paper. I bent over and picked it up, measuring its contents with my hands.

It could be anything. It could even be the knife that he blindly stabbed me in the heart with.

Tears welled up in my eyes, the Novocaine working its magic on my heart. As I ripped off the paper, the pain fought its way through the numbness. It an I-Pod and attached to it was a note. Not wanting to read anything of his just yet, I sat back down on the couch and put the headphones in my ear. There were plenty of our favorite songs on it. Which mainly included One Republic and Maroon5. I was listening to Sweet Kiwi, when something rugged and familiar filled my mind. His voice. Jack recorded me a song. He used to hum it all the time and now there were words to it.

"Goodnight, darling

Soon it will be a new day

When you open your eyes

I'll be waiting" His voice became bells in a church tower. Angels in a sea of chaos. When the song ended, the next track quickly played. This time he was talking.

"Did you read the note? If you didn't...which I know you didn't, read it now. Hope you enjoyed your gift. Bye." And then he was gone. Now the note felt like a ton of bricks. The words were weighing me down and the only way I could lighten the load was if I took in some of its contents. The note was sitting inside the box, staring at me those irresistible eyes. Slowly, I picked it up and held it up to my face.

It read:

Dear Gary,

I'm so glad that you decided to read this note instead of throwing it away. I mean, I know I deserve every insult in the book for what I've done yo you but at least you're reading this. Well anyways, Happy Birthday and um...if you're reading this that means you finished the playlist. You liked it...hopefully. Oh and I finished Goodnight as you can see err hear. I hope you enjoyed that too. Okay, I don't want to write a book so let me get to the point. I love you Garrett Smith and I want to spend the rest of my life with you...its just...my parents don't know that I'm gay and Megan...she doesn't know either...and then this whole religious thing! Please, I know this might be painful for you but...don't throw this away, at least not yet. We need to get our feelings for each other straight before we do things...well I can't say that we'll regret because its already been done but...I need you. More than you know. Forgive me,

Love,

Jack

Image

Part 2

[059 Blue: Picture 12]

Megan's soft snoring kept me up as I drove down the long road home. It was hot outside and the sun was climbing higher and into the sky. In the mirror, I could see the back seats perfectly. There were several rips in the blue upholstery, mainly from Gary's teeth. We fooled around a lot in those couple of weeks we spent together.

The luggage slapped against the walls of the trunk each time I made a turn. The sound reminding me that it was finally happening. I, Jack Callis, was getting married. This fact would be a shock to some people. Especially since I was the guy who swore up and down that he didn't like girls when he was eighteen. I was also the guy who dated a million girls just to be a saint in both God and my parent's eyes. But no matter what I did, my feelings wouldn't go away.

I found myself looking at Megan. She had soft, curly black hair and skin the color of a Hershey bar. When you looked into her eyes, you could see the whole world and then more. Why was she moving into my house? Why was I marrying her? These were questions that swam around in my head each time I kissed her. I mean, there aren't any sparks and I obviously don't find her more attractive than Gary. So why was I marrying her?

Well the only plausible explanations for our betrothal that I can up with is:

1.) To please my parents

2.) To not be a invalid in God's eyes

Ever since I was a little boy in diapers, my parents taught me to live for and by the Bible. They were devote Christians and they wanted their only child to be just like them. My life was controlled entirely by them. I couldn't make one move, without seeking guidance from the Priest. That's why, when I turned eighteen, I got into a band, and did drugs from time to time. I wanted to be everything that my parents didn't want me to be. Once I got older, I realized that I couldn't mess up my life just because my parents didn't understand me. Really, I just wanted to be great in God's eyes. So, once I got half-way down the road of Sin, I returned to Church and let Father Lucas take me under his wing. For seven years I've been walking hand and hand with the Bible...but I just can't seem to control my desires. Does that make me a horrible person?

A tired yawn escaped from Megan's lips, making me frown. Everything about this situation was wrong. She was a nice girl and if I was straight I definitely would want to spend the rest of my life with her. I mean, she put a smile on my face and she got along great with my parents. What more could I ask for?

Her icy fingers touched my shoulder, making me look over at her. Those coffee bean eyes were smiling at me, which made the guilt hurt worse. Damn, I was a horrible person.

"Are we almost there?" she asked, sitting up.

"Yeah," I replied, just as I pulled down Willow Road.

The white houses drowned the trees in their obscurity. My house, at the end of the road, was the only one that stood out. Mines and Gary's I mean. Megan let out a happy moan and then got out of the car.

"Your house is amazing!" she exclaimed, walking up the steps.

"Its your house now too," It was a lame thing to say but it was true.

The handle on the car door felt slippery as I opened the door. My hands were sweating bullets. I mean, what if Gary decided to step out for some air. Well, that was highly unlikely, especially since it was hotter than a furnace out here. But, what if I saw him? I couldn't have a mental break-down in front of my almost-wife.

Not wanting to think about it, I blindly walked to the back of the car and popped the trunk. Inside were purple and blue suitcases. The last of Megan's things. Slowly, I began setting them on the curb, all the while thinking of Gary. He had this way of making everything a big deal that I missed. I remember that one time we went to the store to get some milk but they were out.

"What the hell?" he said "This is a grocery store they're not supposed to be runnin' out of anything,"

"Maybe there was a lot of people lookin' to buy milk today," I suggested, shrugging.

All the way from the Dairy section to the check-out line, Gary complained about how the world was ending because there was no milk.

"You know what will happen to me if I get hit by a bus today, ma'am?" he asked the cashier.

With a frown setting across her Botox-infested face, the woman frowned and shook her head 'no'. I couldn't help but laugh. Gary was just a goof-ball sometimes.

"Well ma'am I'd die," he replied, returning the glare.

"No shit?" the woman muttered, ringing up the groceries.

"Yeah. I mean y'all don't seem to have any milk here. So how the hell am I supposed to get strong bones," With that, I started to crack up so hard that tears were streaming down my face. The two exchanged something else unintelligible but by then, I was waltzing out the store to the parking lot. Those were the days.

"Honey?" Megan asked, breaking my thoughts.

"Yes, dear?" I was trying too hard.

"Look," she said, giggling.

I looked at her and a smile spread widely across my face. She was wearing the hat I bought her when we went to Jamaica. It was red, green, and yellow. Almost like a traffic light inspired Cat in the Hat hat. Attached to it was one of those fake mustaches with the glasses. At first, she didn't like it and I admit, she does look kinda funny.

A laugh escaped from my lips the same time hers did. When she ran up to me and threw herself into my arms, I thought of Gary. This was the way we used to be together. In each other's arms, our lips dancing in harmony. Out of the corner of my eyes, his lace white curtains flickered. He was watching us.

"I love you," she whispered against my lips.

"You too," I replied, forcing a smile.

How could I be so stupid? Kissing her in front of his house like that. He was probably going to move away now. Especially since his mother left him that house in Georgia. You really couldn't even call that thing a house, it was so messed up. Good thing I'm in construction because...wait what am I thinking?

As we walked into the house, luggage in my hands, Megan started singing a song.

We will not listen

No matter what the devil tells us

You our are savior

And if we only turn our ears to your words

Then you will guide us through the pain

The only other reason why I'm marrying Megan, that didn't have to do with religion, was the fact that she had a beautiful voice and that she wrote fantastic songs. She could turn the most lame words into hymns from above. She was an Angel, God's gift to me. As she held the front door open for me, I kissed her on the cheek. I had to keep trying for God.

"I'm going to go take a nap," she yawned, wrapping her arms around my waist.

"Okay, don't keep me waiting though," I whispered, hugging her back.

Now I was alone. The house was now a shrine to our commitment to each other. Everything that belonged to her was on one side of the room while mine was on the other. My living room was at war with each other. The stuff just wouldn't come together properly. Tired, I sat down on her red couch and let myself sink into the cushions. What was I going to do?

Yesterday was Gary's birthday so seeing that I sent him a gift just days after we broke up, it should have arrived today. The things that I said in that letter were from my heart but now, I don't know. My feelings are completely torn in half. A part of me wants to ditch Megan at the altar and go back to Gary. While the other side wants to stay with Megan for the rest of his life. If I were thinking logically about this, I'd tell myself that being with Gary wasn't right. I mean, God definitely had a plan for me and here I was jeopardizing everything...for a guy who I seduced.

A sharp feeling ran through my body. It seemed like only yesterday when I came back to Louisiana. My devotion to the Lord was all crystal-clear until I saw Gary for the first time in years. He used to be short and chubby, but now he was tall and his muscles bulged everywhere. The pointy brown hair that sat on top of his head fit his chiseled face perfectly. Hormones racing at the speed of light, I let temptation get a hold of me. One night, I decided to get him drunk and to make a long story short...I made him love me. Damn, how many lives do I need to ruin?

A knock at the door broke me out of my guilt fest. Stretching, I got up and went to see who it was. Heat poured into the house as I strained to see who dropped off the package that was left on my doorstep.

It was a heavy box and when I sat on the porch and opened it, my eyes lit up. Megan bought a record player for me. She knew I always wanted one. It was cherry oak and the needle was sterling silver. Beautiful.

In a paper case sat a record. Attached to it was a note and some headphones. I slipped the headphones on and read the note, a huge smile playing on my face. It read:

Jack, I know how much you love my songs so I made a Cd for you. Oh and this record player is just something I saw in an old store. Hope you like it

Yours forever,

Mrs. Megan Callis

Tears were in my eyes. This girl really loved me and as I pushed play on the Cd player that was hidden under the record player, I knew that I could learn to love her too. Deep down I knew that I would not forget Gary, because he was my first love. But sometimes, you have to let go what you want to be true in God's eyes. Megan's words proved that much for me.

We will not listen

The world's not going to hold us down

In the end we may be hurt

But we will find strength again

Once we learn about your love

We will not listen

Image


Note: You are not logged in, but you can still leave a comment or review. Before it shows up, a moderator will need to approve your comment (this is only a safeguard against spambots). Leave your email if you would like to be notified when your message is approved.






You can earn up to 450 points for reviewing this work. The amount of points you earn is based on the length of the review. To ensure you receive the maximum possible points, please spend time writing your review.

Is this a review?


  

Comments



User avatar
695 Reviews


Points: 2242
Reviews: 695

Donate
Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:22 am
Angel of Death says...



tnme22: I am so sorry for the confusions. This was written on a whim because the contest that I entered...well I thought that the deadline was today. It was a complete shocker to find out that the MC was a girl wasn't it? Well the only reason why I made sure that the gender of my character was anonymous because really that information didn't pertain much to their character. I just really wanted to focus on the emotions that some have when someone they love breaks up with them. Part 2 explains most of the things that I didn't touch base on the first one...hopefully. I thank you for your critique and I hope you're able to read the rest,
Much appreciation,
-Angel




User avatar
1162 Reviews


Points: 32055
Reviews: 1162

Donate
Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:59 pm
Carlito wrote a review...



Angel of Death wrote:The box arrived yesterday. I didn't want to open it, but every time I passed it by, pain swelled in my throat. This was the only reminder that I had of Jack. Whatever it was inside that pink box came straight from his heart. His beautiful, loving heart,

Where is the box? Her bedroom, by the front door? Say something like...'every time I passed it in ___,'...(you can probably make it sound better than that though)
I think it would sound better if you said, 'whatever was inside the (another descriptive word) pink box'

Angel of Death wrote:A car pulled to a stop, the engine dying like a love affair with [s]three people[/s]. I'd know that sound anywhere. It was was the old Chevy, and even though her good days were over, she still held a lot of great memories. The last time I spent in that car was two weeks ago, when Jack broke up with me. We were in the beat seat, curled up in each others arms, hoping the sun wasn't about to rise. It was a beautiful night. The crickets were singing and the owls were hooting and we were madly in love.[/blue] ((love this line)) Pressed up against his chest was the best place on Earth to be. Especially since his heart beat [color=red]wasthe soundtrack of my summer. Everything was going fine until Jack pushed me away. He wouldn't let me see his face when he said that it was over.


Angel of Death wrote:As I slowly, pulled back the curtains, the numbness wore off. They were outside. Jack, and his fiancée, Megan. He was pulling the last of her suitcases out of the trunk and setting them on the curb. His muscles flexed in and out, making my insides tingle. The last time I felt his...

Now I'm slightly confused. I would assume that he had been dating this girl for a while if he proposed to marry her. But if he was also dating the MC than would that mean that he was dating two girls at once? Also, with the present, when did he give it to her? Before he broke up with her? If it was after than why would it be in a pink box?

Angel of Death wrote:Suddenly, the thing that I ignored, became the thing that I needed. Eager to have at least one reminder of Jack, one feeling of warmth, I got up off the couch and walked to the door. On the carpet, lye a package wrapped in pink paper. ((you already said it was pink so I don't think you need to repeat it.)) I bent over and picked it up, measuring its contents with my hands.


Angel of Death wrote:It an I-Pod ((I'm assuming this is a typo))and attached to it was a note.


Angel of Death wrote:Dear Gary, Whoa! Totally thought it was a girl! I'm not sure if you wanted a 'big reveal' here but maybe you should have some kind of indication at the beginning that we're talking about a boy here :)



Kay...good so far...
I'm gonna do the rest later...I gotta get ready to go to band :D





History is the version of past events that people have decided to agree upon.
— Napoleon Bonaparte